Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Humble Thunder


The course I took in Virginia was a blast. The instructor (Reggie Bennett) really knew his stuff. I learned a lot and confirmed what it is that I thought I knew. Reggie was an instructor of S.E.R.E. (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape) training which is what every pilot and the different (Rangers & Seals, ect.) Special Forces go through. He had told us from the start that four days does not an expert make, admitting that he is still learing something new everyday.


He said the four days he had with us he would give us the basic tools in a kind of crash course but there is a lot to know so you should never go out with out being prepared. He instructed us in the Seven Priorities of Survival which are positive mental attitude, first aid, shelter, fire craft, signaling, water, and food. The knot tying was funny there were at least three of the knots that he taught us I had been doing for a long time but I did knot know that they had real names.

I did sleep in a shelter and bed that I had made from leaves and yes it was cold. I was instructed on snaring animals from a squirrel to a deer, how to find the proper place to set the traps and what to set them with. He went over what you should never go hiking and or camping with out just in case. I had a ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment